Happy Earth Day from your friends at Mall of America®!
Did you know Mall of America was green way before its time? We “live green” 365 days a year! The Mall has been environmentally friendly since opening in 1992, incorporating elements such as passive solar heating, an extensive recycling program and 30,000 live plants that act as natural air purifiers.
Mall of America:
Recycles more than 60% of its waste – an average of 32,000 tons per year.
Recycles 2,400 tons of food waste to a local farm, which equates to more than a million hog means annually.
- Converts our restaurant’s fryer fat into 600,000 lbs. of bio-diesel fuel which is used to power Mall of America security vehicles. Cool, huh?!
- Does not use a central heating system; instead, temperature is maintained with 1.2 miles of skylights for solar energy, residual heat from light fixtures and body heat from you, our visitors!
- Releases thousands of ladybugs inside the building instead of utilizing pesticides on live plants.
- Replaced 5,600 outdated orange sodium lights in the parking ramps with custom LED fixtures that reduced the Mall’s energy consumption by 70%.
- Offers three electric vehicle charging stations to serve owners of electric cars, bikes and scooters.
Earth Day Deals at MOA
- Theatres at MOA will plant a tree through the Nature Conservancy for each ticket purchased today to see, “The Happening.”
The Disney Store is offering a free Brave or Cars 2 reusable shopping bag when you bring in five plastic shopping bags.
- Bring your reusable cup to Caribou and they’ll fill it up with a free cup of coffee!
- Celebrate Earth Day with Metro Transit which will be 100% wind-powered for the day.
2013 Ladybug Release video: