The battle has begun. Old Man Winter took every last ounce of moisture from my skin — and he’s currently winning. I’m in desperate need of a miracle cure that will help with even that itchy spot right in the middle of my shoulder blades that I can never reach. YOU KNOW the spot. Growing up in a household where soap was the skincare product of choice has left me utterly clueless when it comes to beauty options to battle dry skin. I reached out to the true skincare authorities for help, and here’s their advice on no-fail solutions for waging war against dry skin.
- Hydro-Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate ($58 at Kiehl’s Since 1851) If you’re skincare illiterate like me, don’t let the fancy title scare you away. My name for this product would be ‘Put me on after you wash your face and you will never have that icky dry feeling ever again.’ This serum intensively hydrates skin’s deepest layers and also plumps to smooth lines.
- Ultimate Strength Hand Salve ($15 at Kiehl’s Since 1851) This has been a #1 top selling Kiehl’s product for years, and after only one day of using it I could see why. I couldn’t stop shaking my own hands just to feel how exceptionally soft they were (yes, this merited a lot of weird looks from coworkers).
- Dream Cream ($26.95 at LUSH) You know that soothing, fresh, lavender-ish scent a spa has? LUSH has miraculously found a way to put the essence of this entire experience into a bottle. Heaven! In addition to smelling like a relaxing spa day, this cream also lived up to its ‘dream’ title by keeping my skin moisturized all day.
- Ro’s Argan Body Conditioner ($32.95 at LUSH) For those of you who are not in the know about skin care terms (but want to be), a body conditioner acts exactly like a hair conditioner. You put this on after getting clean, rinse it off, and then have amazingly soft skin WITHOUT putting lotion on. I repeat – no lotion after a shower. My world has been turned upside down.
The Body Shop
- Body Butter ($12 at The Body Shop) Any skin care product that has the word ‘butter’ in the title isn’t going to disappoint with dry skin woes. You get 24 blissful hours of moisture with this product (no constant reapplying needed!) and it comes in yummy scents like coconut, almond, and Victoria Beckham’s favorite – Mango.
- Vitamin E Serum-In-Oil ($26 at The Body Shop) The newest product in the Vitamin E line is already a customer favorite. This one works while you sleep – just a few drops of oil will replenish and recharge your skin for the next day. Neat freaks rejoice – this small bottle also takes up way less space in the bathroom cabinet.
- Shea Butter Hand Cream (5.2 oz $28 at L’OCCITANE) This product sells every three seconds worldwide. ‘Nuff said. If that’s not a testimonial for its amazingness, I don’t know what is.
- Almond Shower Oil (8.4 oz $25 at L’OCCITANE) I’d buy L’OCCITANE products for the charming packaging alone, so it’s a bonus that they also do wonders for your skin. This product is a great option to replace your shower gel, plus the oil transforms into foam when mixed with water, so it’s great for shaving too.